Grupo Ciência dos Alimentos e Saúde
- Investigate unique properties of Azorean dairy products with potential for international differentiation and certification.
- Study the structural and functional diversity of autochthonous microbiota in Azorean dairy foods to serve as a basis for producing new starters to improve consistency and safety, without compromising the unique characteristics of traditional products.
- Investigate bioactive compounds of traditional Azorean foods and plants (Camellia sinensis) with health benefits.
- Investigate the microbial ecology of artisanal Azorean food products and its impact on the safety of these products.
- Conduct research for production of novel dairy products with nutritive and health promoting properties.
- Investigate bioprotective compounds and bacteria combined into biopolymers to obtain edible coatings with the purpose of increasing the shelf life and safety of food products.
- Investigate plant waste and marine organisms to use as nutraceuticals.
- Study plant extracts with anti-insect activities, respecting the WHO recommendations, in order to substitute the synthetic pesticides by bio-insecticides reducing their negative effect on health.
- Implement a collection of new bacterial cultures with technological, nutritive and health characteristics.
- Study the microbial diversity of extreme environments of the Azores, as surrogates for the search of life in other planets.